Friday, July 1, 2016

Retirement: Day One

Today I am officially retired.  After forty-five years working in the field of music education/ministry, it feels strange to know that I needn't hurry through my blog to get dressed and go to work.  In fact, I can stay in my P.J.s all day if I so choose . . . and I might do just that.

Walking out the door yesterday was bittersweet. I won't miss the administrative duties or the church politics or the twelve-hour days or sacrificing important family events.  I won't miss the evening classes and rehearsals, rescheduling snow days, working during dinner time or hauling instruments and other heavy equipment from place to place. I won't miss meetings that last until 9:00 PM (after teaching all day).

What I will miss are the faces of hundreds of precious children that flashed before my eyes as I left the building yesterday.  Many of them are grown now with children of their own. Some have chosen careers in music.  I feel genuinely rewarded and truly grateful to have played a small part in each child's life.  If they remember me, I hope their memories are of someone who cared about each one, not only as a potential musician but as a valued child of God.  I hope and pray that I was able to have a positive impact on their lives.

I will miss the amazing staff of professionals and dedicated volunteers with whom I surrounded myself. Where I once called them valued, gifted employees, now I get to count them as lifelong friends.

I will miss the remarkable Musikgarten philosophy and curriculum. What a privilege it has been to teach such a comprehensive, holistic program since its inception!  I will be eternally grateful to Dr. Lorna Heyge for her vision, her sacrifice and her life's work to bring the very best educational method to fruition.      

There have been so many magical moments in my career!  I couldn't begin to describe just one that stands out.  But, administrative duties and church politics aside, I thank God for the privilege of witnessing and celebrating the intrinsic beauty of each child's soul.        

No comments:

Post a Comment