Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My Next Project

I love blogging, but some days I have to make the choice to write a blog or write a chapter of my current novel. Lately I've been choosing the novel. The working title is I JUST WANT TO GO HOME. It's the story of Abigail Jordan, a typical middle class teenager growing up in James City County, Virginia who finds her family in the unexpected position of being homeless. Here's a sneak preview from Chapter 2:

        A few weeks later, Mom called another of her dreaded family meetings. If I thought the conference of three years earlier was life changing, well, this one topped even the news that Dad was dying. Mom announced she would have to get a job. But that wasn't the worst part. I'll never forget her next words. She looked at me with sad eyes and said, "Honey, I'm afraid you're going to have to put off going to college. We just don't have the money, and besides, I'll need you here to help with your brothers when I go to work." In stunned silence, I had stopped listening at the word "college." Not go to college? I had been planning this important milestone of my life for four years or more. What was she saying? That I couldn't pursue my dream of becoming a documentary film-maker? There was so much to learn! I had eagerly anticipated studying how to produce, stage, shoot and edit film. I needed to learn about interviewing, writing a script, funding, copyright issues and so much more. Finally I had narrowed down my choices to either New York Film Academy or Los Angeles Film School, and both schools had offered me early acceptance.

        "What about my college fund?" I asked through hot tears stinging my cheeks. I didn't want to cry, but I couldn't help myself. "Dad has been saving for years."

        "I know, Sweetheart, but I've had to use that money to pay the mortgage. We haven't had any income for three years, and our health insurance paid less than half of your father's medical expenses. I've already dipped into his retirement fund. I just don't see any way. Maybe after I work for a while and get caught up on the bills we can think about it again." I was stunned. I absolutely didn't see that bombshell coming. How could I not go to college? It was inconceivable. I had known what I wanted to do since the seventh grade and had meticulously planned my whole career. I had to get out of that room before I said something I would regret. Anger, disappointment and confusion swirled together in my brain, threatening to explode before I could stop myself. I stood, turned, and ran up the stairs to my room, leaving Mom to deal with my brothers who always cried when they saw me crying. "Please, Honey! Try to understand!" I heard her call after me, but I had not one ounce of understanding left in me. I thought when Dad finally died, life would get back to normal. Mom would be the parent again, instead of me. I would go off to college and come home for holidays. It was the natural order of things. Wasn't it?

Does this plot sound intriguing?  Does I JUST WANT TO GO HOME sound like a book you would be interested in reading? Please be honest in your assessment. Your comments will help me decide whether to move forward or to let this one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment