Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Day

I don't know who invented Mother's Day--other than Hallmark--but, as a mother, I must admit I thoroughly enjoy being showered with cards, flowers, phone calls and pampering.  In fact, I wouldn't mind celebrating three or four Mother's Days a year.  Mother's Day is especially significant for my mom and me because I was born on Mother's Day and the two holidays coincide every seven years.  But there are women for whom Mother's Day brings only painful memories and sorrow.  

A dear friend of mine wasn't able to bear children.  She and her husband love children, but their lost dream of having a family left them disappointed and heartbroken.  Another friend suffered multiple miscarriages before finally having a healthy child.  I know a young woman who carried her first baby to term, only to experience the unimaginable anguish of stillbirth.  Others who have lost a beloved child or a cherished mother dread the day that many of us find so special.  They wish they could stay in bed with the covers pulled over their heads until the day passes.  They long for tomorrow when they will no longer have to smile and respond with with an empty "thank you" as their fellow worshiper or restaurant server wishes them a Happy Mother's Day.

I am so grateful for my children and my grandchildren.  My world lights up when I see them or talk to them, especially on Mother's Day.  On Mother's Day we moms forget about the labor pains, sleepless nights, dirty diapers, toddler tantrums, fevers, sprains, stains and teenage angst. We recall only the good times.  My heart hurts for the many women who would give anything to share in--or relive--every experience of motherhood, diapers, tantrums and all.        

No comments:

Post a Comment