Saturday, April 30, 2016

Chocolate or Vegetables?

More then once I've heard that keeping a journal is an emotionally therapeutic activity.  Now that I'm writing an almost-daily blog, I find it provides self nurturing therapy much like journal-ing. Not only does blogging cause me to explore deep feelings and sort out internal conflicts but it satisfies my intense need to write.

Writing novels is very rewarding, but the process--from beginning to end--is grueling and can take many months. In blogging, I intentionally try to keep my blog posts short and to the point. I don't have to concern myself with issues like character development or point-of-view. Blogging doesn't require research or editing. Best of all, I don't have to write and submit a synopsis to the publisher. I guess you could call it a self-indulgent way of writing. It's like choosing chocolate over vegetables.

In my opinion, self-indulgence has gotten a bad reputation. Somewhere during the process of growing up, we were told that taking care of our own needs is selfish.  It has taken nearly a lifetime for me to learn that self-nurturing is healthy. I've finally learned that the best way to help others is to take care of my own needs first. It's like when the flight attendant instructs parents to place the oxygen mask over their mouths before administering oxygen to their children.

I am much more able and willing to love and help others when I love and nurture myself first. Healthy self-care does not make us lazy or narcissistic or self-centered.  As in choosing whether to eat chocolate or vegetables, it's a matter of balance. Yes, I can have chocolate every day, but there's a big difference between eating a whole bag of Hershey's kisses instead of vegetables and eating two Hershey's kisses after a serving of vegetables.   

No comments:

Post a Comment