Monday, April 18, 2016

Clutter

I've noticed a direct correlation between my sense of well-being and the amount of clutter surrounding me. Therefore, I hold the United States Post Office personally responsible for my bad moods.  Every time I turn around there's another pile of junk mail staring me in the face.  It says, "Until you deal with me you cannot rest or concentrate."

"But I need to write," I answer.

Then there is the incessant laundry.  As soon as I finish folding and storing the last article, the hamper is full again and the ironing basket is overflowing.  It taunts me until I cannot ignore it.   "Unless you can afford to buy new underwear every week," it says, "you need to wash me."

"But I need to write," I answer.

"You could write greetings to your friends and family," taunts the pile of birthday cards on my desk.  Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?  I recall feeling quite proud of myself last month as I carefully and thoughtfully selected each card with the respective loved one in mind.  Now the dates have passed, but the pile remains.

But I need to write,"  I answer.

"Remember us?" call the two-hundred-dollars-worth of annuals I bought for the flower beds. "You promised to plant us as soon as the temperature warmed up, but now our roots grow dry and our blooms are fading."

"What about me?" chimes the book case bursting with twice-read volumes. "You promised to donate half of my load to make room for the piles of once-new books still waiting on the floor."

"But I need to write,"  I answer.   "Don't you understand?  The clutter in my mind begs attention, too.  There are thoughts to organize, stories to formulate, characters to develop.  Persistent Clutter, you come as a thief to fill my space and steal my well-being.   Can't you just leave me in peace and let me write?"

"Peace does not come free-of-charge," Clutter reminds me.  "Life is about balance.  Clear me from your home and office.  Meet your responsibilities at work.  Take care of the people in your life.  It's all a matter of equilibrium. If your days don't flow--if you can't find the time to fulfill your life's purpose--listen to me.  I'm trying to tell you something."







  

No comments:

Post a Comment