Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Open Window

I am always amazed at how perfectly God's plan unfolds.  As recently as two years ago, I proclaimed confidently, "I will never retire!"  My work as a music educator was so rewarding that I felt compelled to dedicate an entire life to it.  How could I leave something that brought so much satisfaction and joy?  If Helen Kemp could work with and for children into her nineties, surely I could, too.  After all, I have loved what I have been doing and I have felt that it mattered.  I am convinced that my life's work has been a fulfillment of God's purpose for me.  But God has had a different plan for my golden years.  

I've learned that when a plan is "of God," it begins with a hunger pang . . . call it motivation, if you will.  Many years ago God planted a hunger in my heart, a yearning to write.  This seed lay dormant while life happened--education, career, marriage, family, etc.  I became so busy with living that I didn't acknowledge the growling in my gut as God's urging.  Now I recognize that much of what I was doing in my other fulfilling career was also preparing me for this new path of discovery.

You've heard the old cliche, "When God closes a door, He opens a window."   I thought I would be sad--despondent, actually--to stop teaching.  However, as the door of my forty-five-year career closes, I eagerly anticipate climbing through that open window.            

No comments:

Post a Comment