Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Stuff

The older I get, the less I care about stuff. In fact, I revel in getting rid of the possessions that have
accumulated in my home for the last thirty years. It gives me great pleasure to purge closets, drawers, and attics. Someone once said, "Whenever you bring something new into your home, be sure to get rid of something." While that seems like good advice, I would take it a step further and get rid of two "somethings." Let's face it. We really need less than half of what we own. So, why do we surround ourselves with so much stuff?

My parents' generation lived through the Great Depression. They knew what it meant to be lacking. As a result, many of them became hoarders. Whether consciously or subconsciously, they vowed to never "go without" again. I understand that mentality, especially when I throw away something, and-- a day or two later--find myself needing that very item. However, there are only so many surfaces on which to display knick-knacks and so many walls for exhibiting art and photographs.

I'm not, by nature, a collector, but the people in my life seem to enjoy collecting for me. Okay, so I have a special Teddy bear in each room of my house. That doesn't mean I want you to start buying Teddy bears for me. I love books and I love reading, but I already struggle to pare down my personal library. I don't need more books to clutter my shelves. I appreciate fine jewelry, but every time my sweet, generous husband buys me a new ring or necklace, I think of how much good that money could have done for people in need of life's basic necessities.

We--especially we Americans--are products of a capitalist society that emphasizes consummerism. We have been brainwashed to always want more. . . more money, bigger houses, expensive cars, high fashion, more stuff.

I have been poor, and, frankly, I didn't like it. But, I'm convinced wealth can be just as limiting as poverty until we recognize that material accumulation doesn't do anything to develop our spirits or contribute to the universe. It only creates more stuff for our children to dispose of after we're gone.    

No comments:

Post a Comment