Friday, December 18, 2020

After Rain

The other day, a friend asked, “What inspires your writing?” It was a good question that I couldn’t answer immediately. I guess I hadn’t considered the idea of inspiration until I began writing my latest book, After Rain.

I’ve published a novella and three novels, but After Rain is a departure from novel writing. Rather it is a book of weekly Christian devotions.

The inspiration for After Rain came last spring shortly after the pandemic reached America’s shores. During my daily prayer time, I began to hear what I like to call holy whispers. I had finished reading 1 Thessalonians 4:18 where Paul says, “Therefore comfort one another with these words.” Paul is encouraging the Christians at Thessalonica to comfort each other with words of hope. The early Christians were often faced with persecution, even to the point of martyrdom. But because of Christ’s sacrifice and the promise of resurrection, they were never left hopeless, even in death.

By March, the pandemic had been identified as COVID-19, and already millions worldwide were infected with this mysterious illness. Fear spread quickly, especially when the death toll began to rise. As businesses were forced to close, many families found themselves without income and housing.

That was the situation prompting me to write fifty-two devotions, but I never intended to share them. The words were for me, only... or so I thought. Then one morning as I meditated, embracing the silence, the holy whisper came: People need comfort and peace. They need to hear words of hope, not only for a vaccine but hope that comes from embracing the message of Jesus Christ. Keep writing and trust the outcome to me.

I prayed for inspiration, searched the scriptures, and wrote. Remembering some previous blog posts that seemed to fit, I included them. From there, After Rain became a collection of devotions and then a book. When I told my publisher I wanted to donate all proceeds from the sale of After Rain, High Tide climbed aboard and pledged to donate the publishing costs. We chose Hospice House and Support Care of Williamsburg as the recipient.

After Rain will soon be available in paperback and hardback. Within its pages, I hope you will find comfort and peace. While you wait for it to be launched on Amazon, you can read a FREE excerpt on my website: cindylfreeman.com.

Cindy L. Freeman is the author of four award-winning essays and three published novels: UnrevealedThe Dark Room and I Want to Go Home. Her latest book, After Rain, is a collection of devotions offering  comfort and peace in times of trial. Website: www.cindylfreeman.com; Facebook page: Cindy L Freeman. Her books are available from amazon.com or hightidepublications.com


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the background of this book. Your inspiration for writing it will be helpful to others facing the unexpected trials of the pandemic. Happy New Year, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and responding, Monti. I hope this book will bring comfort to those who need it.

      Delete