Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Taking the Plunge

I’ve never been the adventurous type. I’m perfectly content inside my head, and don’t feel the need to take risks. The most venturesome experience of my life was the time my husband and I went snorkeling in the Caribbean. Not a lover of water sports to begin with, I worried that I’d suck the whole sea through my snorkeling tube or perhaps be eaten by a shark. But when it was over, I felt proud of myself for attempting something far beyond my comfort zone.

Once I climbed back into the boat, my life had been forever changed. I had laid eyes on a stunning part of God’s creation that I could have never imagined: living coral, vibrantly colored fish and sparkling, white sand. More importantly, I had accomplished a feat that my timid spirit hadn’t dreamed possible.

Now that I think about it, becoming a novelist has been an even more venturesome undertaking than snorkeling. All my education, practice, and experience prepared me for a career in music education and music ministry. I had a long, satisfying, rewarding career, one that God called me to. But when it ended in retirement, I realized I had always wanted to write, too. Would God sanction this new pursuit? After forty-five years focusing on one discipline, was I brave enough to jump into the water again and swim in a different direction?

Afraid of failure, I had to dig deep for the courage to pursue a new dream. In the beginning, I made a lot of mistakes and took many wrong turns. I worried about drowning or being eaten by a shark in this strange, new world. But I prayed, researched, studied, and attended workshops and seminars. I took the risk and started expressing my thoughts on paper, never imagining my words would be published.

Now I’m writing every day—sometimes all day—and loving it. I’m meeting whole new groups of people: publishers, editors, fellow authors, and readers who enjoy my short stories and novels. Best of all, I know that God has led me in this new direction, and I’m trusting the outcome to God.

Not that being an author is easy. In fact, it requires a good deal of work. But like teaching and performing music, writing is fulfilling, often cathartic, and a true blessing. Like snorkeling, writing is an adventure I never could have imagined. I’m glad I took the plunge.

Cindy L. Freeman is the author of two award-winning short stories and three published novels: Diary in the Attic, Unrevealed and The Dark Room. Coming soon from High Tide Publications: I Want to Go Home. Website: www.cindylfreeman.com; Facebook page: Cindy Loomis Freeman. Her books are available through amazon.com or hightidepublications.com

No comments:

Post a Comment