Monday, August 8, 2016

Vacations

There was a time when I thought vacations were a waste of time and money. My practical, stick-in-the-mud side would argue that the expense of vacation trips could be put to better use in home improvements or saving for the future. Yes, it's important to maintain one's home and it's important to save for the future, but I've finally realized it's also important to bask in the joy of present moments and create precious memories with friends and family members. It has taken many years and many memorable trips to rid me of the guilt associated with vacations. 

Today, as I recline on the balcony of a condominium atop Snowshoe Mountain in West Virginia, I find inspiration in the spectacular scenery. With its gray clouds concealing the highest peaks, one might describe the overcast sky as gloomy, but I see before me another of the Creator's many exquisite masterpieces. The same air that sways the treetops feels cool and fresh as it brushes against my skin and fills my hungry lungs. Earlier this morning, gentle raindrops began to play their tinkling music against the roof and windows, forcing the birds to seek shelter.

Now the rain is falling forcefully, turning the panoramic landscape from light green to bluish-black. Thunder roars in the distance, reminding me to retreat behind the expanse of windows that graces this condo, aptly named "The Catbird Seat." From our corner unit, we can observe both the sunrise and the sunset, each boasting its own particular array of pinks and oranges. Low-hanging wisps of clouds float past, kissing the foothills and resting over the shimmery lake in the valley below.

Tomorrow will be soon enough to explore our new surroundings. For this day--the first day of our mountain vacation--we are quite content to rest from the packing, driving and unpacking to simply savor the beauty of an ever-evolving display provided by the Master Painter.    

Please visit my author website at https://www.cindylfreeman.com/      
         

No comments:

Post a Comment