Wednesday, February 17, 2021

What Inspires You?


One might say that the COVID-19 pandemic inspired my latest book,
After Rain, but that wouldn't be wholly accurate. Certainly the pandemic lockdown prompted my writing, but it was God who inspired it. Does that make me one of God’s chosen messengers, a prophet, or a cleric? No. I’m not qualified to claim any of those labels. But, as a follower of Christ, I’ve learned to listen in the silence of each morning for that “still, small voice.”  


For me, writing is nearly always a spiritual experience. My writing is a response to what I’m thinking and feeling, but, more than that, it is a response to whatever I’m discovering about life within the context of faith. It can also be a reflection of what I need such as strength or discernment or healing; and I have lived long enough to understand that my needs are not unique or special. Rather, they are shared by all of humanity, whether consciously or not. 


Each new day brings fresh discoveries, it seems. I learn something new about myself or humanity or God almost daily. Sometimes these revelations happen by accident--when I’m not even searching--but more often inspiration comes because I have purposely opened my psyche to awareness of life’s mysteries and God’s miracles. 


Few people make space for Divine inspiration, it seems. It’s no one’s fault. We are busy with jobs, families, chores, social media, and myriad other distractions. So, the practice of being awakened to inspiration must become a scheduled event. 


As I discussed the format of this book with my publisher, I knew I wanted it to include a space for readers to respond to the weekly devotions through prayer, meditation, and journaling. We agreed that each month’s entries should end with a lined page where readers could write their own thoughts after my prayer and meditation prompts.


If you purchase After Rain, you will benefit a wonderful non-profit organization that never charges a penny for its services: Hospice House and Support Care of Williamsburg, Virginia. In exchange for your generosity, I trust you will be blessed with comfort and peace by taking the time to pray, meditate, and reflect through your own journal entries. Perhaps you'll discover what inspires you. 

To read a FREE sample of After Rain, visit my author website 

No comments:

Post a Comment