Sunday, January 31, 2021

It's About Connection

As dreadful as the last year has been with COVID-19, political unrest, racial unrest and all the rest--notice the little play on words, there--something astonishing has happened. The Holy Spirit has placed on my heart various people from my “past lives” and convicted me to renew contact with them. Evidently, this phenomenon is occurring with others, too, because I have heard from a number of folks for the first time in many years. As we connect by phone or email or text, each relationship is renewed instantly. It’s as if we never lost touch. 

Shortly after Christmas, I realized I hadn’t received the usual card from my college voice professor. For fifty years, she and I have exchanged Christmas cards, and that’s it, but I always looked forward to hearing from her annually. Now, my mind filled with concern, especially about her health amid a pandemic. Suddenly, I became aware that I had never told her how much she meant to me, how positively she had influenced my life, and how much I admired her. For the first time in fifty years, I picked up the phone and called her. She knew who I was immediately. I asked her if she had caller ID, and she said, "No, but I’d recognize your voice anywhere.” Imagine that! After fifty years!


What followed was the most delightful, hour-long conversation! She is in her late eighties and in frail health, but her mind is as sharp as ever. With social distancing measures in place, she and her husband (who have no family) are quite isolated in their apartment. Needless to say, my phone call, alone, made her day. But the greatest blessing about our long-overdue discourse was that, finally, I was able to share my sincere gratitude for all the support she provided during my college days, when I was far from home, very naive, and totally unprepared for adulthood. 


Reconnecting with her warmed my heart, and I wondered what had taken me so long. She went on to tell me that, not only had she kept up with my music career, but now she was following my writing career, having read and enjoyed all of my novels. “I’m still waiting for Farm Girl,” she said. I had to tell her I would not be publishing my childhood memoir, after all...that I recognized my parents did the best they could with what they knew and were no longer alive to defend themselves. I would chalk up the project to catharsis and let them rest in peace. 


It was no accident when the very next day, I got a phone call from a friend in Newport News with whom I had lost touch after moving to Williamsburg, a dear sister-in-Christ who helped me through a difficult period in my life. Yes, we’re “friends” on Facebook, but social media is limited when it comes to deep connection...or it should be. Again, we talked for nearly an hour and, not only was I able to thank her for her grace and caring at one of life’s lowest points, but I learned that her family is currently in the midst of a crisis and that a mutual friend of ours is suffering from COVID. 


When another old friend called shortly after the new year, and when I continued to be reminded of long-ignored relationships, I knew that God was sending me an important message: If you are thinking about someone with whom you’ve lost touch, chances are I have placed that person on your heart. Don’t wait for another crisis. Make the connection now and be blessed. 

 

I’m learning that neither busyness nor physical isolation justifies neglecting relationships. Abundant life is about connection--connection with God and fellow humans. Deep connection results when we nurture relationships, both near and far. Excuse me while I make a phone call.


Please check out my author website: https://www.cindylfreeman.com/ 


1 comment: