Thursday, March 31, 2016

Mirror Musings

Some of my deepest thoughts and most significant spiritual awakenings occur during my morning ritual to make myself presentable to the world . . . cleansing, moisturizing, make-up, hair . . . mirror time. When I think about this interesting juxtaposition, I find evidence of God's sense of humor. I hear God saying, "If you insist upon this shallow vanity, you'll have to tolerate My intrusion, reminding you that physical beauty is not your life's purpose, honoring Me is."

"Lord, don't you see?  It's my physical insecurity that initiates this daily ritual."

"My child, I created you. You cannot hide from Me beneath make-up or fancy clothes. You can hide parts of yourself from other humans. You can even hide from yourself. But you are fully transparent to Me. I understand your fears and anxieties. I am aware of your perceived flaws and your true limitations. Only when you are real with Me can you be authentic with others and, ultimately, true to yourself. Wear your mask, if you must, but let My love indwell and transform you. I will help you march boldly forward, facing each new day with courage and hope."

Now I keep a journal nearby. An empty page lies on the bathroom counter, ready for these unpredictable interruptions to my daily toilette--slather, dip, tap, swirl, buff. I pause to feverishly record precious insights before they are lost forever. I fear that once I leave this mirrored wall, life will intrude, and God's silent messages will float back to heaven, never to visit again.






No comments:

Post a Comment